Epsom & Ewell Borough Council will be taking part in the Local Government Association’s second #CouncilsCan Day– an online celebration to highlight the critical work of local government during the coronavirus pandemic.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19, the council has worked tirelessly to keep services running during this crisis and support residents and businesses.
- Administering the payment of grants totalling £10million to over 700 small businesses
- Establishing a High Streets Task Force to help with the safe recovery of the boroughs retail and hospitality areas
- Housing 50+ households directly affected by the impact of the coronavirus
- Contacting over 100 restaurants and food business providing relevant information and guidance
- Establishing a team of Borough Wardens to provide reassurance, advice and guidance to visitors and local businesses
- Taking measures to ensure rubbish and recycling continued to be collected over the lockdowns
- Ramping up meals at home and home shopping services ensuring the elderly vulnerable were safe in their own homes
Councillors and officers from Epsom & Ewell Borough Council will be taking part in the national social media campaign on Tuesday 10 November to promote ongoing council efforts to lead communities through this crisis and beyond.
Cllr Eber Kington, Chairman of Epsom & Ewell Borough Council’s Strategy and Resources Committee said, “During the pandemic we’ve seen Borough Council members of staff taking on new roles, for example supporting vulnerable members of the community, and others ensuring that essential services are maintained to provide some sense of normality.
“Importantly they have been a reassuring presence in the town and on the telephone offering advice and assistance to many residents and businesses in the borough”.
Cllr Peter Fleming, Chairman of the LGA’s Improvement and Innovation Board, said:
“In this time of national crisis, it is council staff who have kept our communities running and provided crucial local leadership.
“While showcasing this vital and fantastic work, the LGA will be using the #CouncilsCan Day to highlight that councils can have an even greater impact on the health and wealth of our country with proper and sustainable funding.”
For more information, visit www.local.gov.uk/councilscan-day and follow the hashtag #CouncilsCan on the day.
Epsom & Ewell Borough Council will be taking part in #CouncilsCan Day on our social media channels – @EpsomEwellBC on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.